Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Ice at Grenadier Pond

I skated twice at Grenadier Pond yesterday, because it is so good! Well, to be honest, I returned in the afternoon because I spent most of my time shovelling in the morning, and wanted to enjoy the fruits of my labour.

I cleared an oval that's probably about 150 or 175 meters. The corners are not as well laid out as at Martin Grove, but it's skateable at a reasonable speed. The only challenge is when you get many other skaters, because it's narrow for passing.

I parked off Ellis Avenue just north of the Queensway. There's a place where you can walk onto the Pond near that corner. The oval I cleared is about half-way up the pond. I walked up and put my skates on a friendly couple's dock near a big hockey rink that they cleared. The hockey rink is just north of the oval. If you don't want to walk that far, there's a smaller "oval" right at the south end of the pond by Ellis, that goes around a smaller shinny rink. Only problem with that one is a really tight corner at one end.

Bring along a snow shovel and check the Pond out. The ice is great!

See you Tuesday,

Jay

No comments: